Somalia Says Senior Al-Shabaab Bomb Maker Killed in Air Strike

 


MOGADISHU — Somali authorities have confirmed that a precision air strike launched last month successfully eliminated two of Al-Shabaab’s most influential and dangerous commanders, marking what officials describe as a major setback for the militant group.

In a statement released on Thursday, the National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) announced that the strike, carried out on December 10 in the town of Jilib in Middle Juba region, targeted and killed Abdullahi Osman Mohamed — widely known as Engineer Ismail — along with another senior militant figure, Abdikarim Mohamed Hersi, commonly referred to as Qoorleex. The operation was conducted with crucial support from international partners.

Authorities described Engineer Ismail as one of Al-Shabaab’s top leaders and the mastermind behind the group’s explosives development and deployment. He was believed to have overseen Al-Shabaab’s bomb-making units, its elite Amniyat intelligence wing, and its well-coordinated propaganda arm, Al-Kataaib. Due to his involvement in orchestrating deadly attacks, including the devastating October 14 Mogadishu bombing, the United States had placed a $5 million bounty on his head.

Somali officials accused Engineer Ismail of being directly responsible for a series of large-scale terror operations targeting civilians, government institutions, and public infrastructure. His death, they say, removes one of the most experienced and technically skilled figures within Al-Shabaab’s operational structure.

The second militant killed, Qoorleex, served as a senior propaganda and coordination official within the militant organization. According to NISA, he played a critical role in managing Al-Shabaab’s activities across the Juba regions and was deeply involved in media messaging, recruitment, and mobilization.


NISA emphasized that the precision nature of the operation ensured that the two key leaders were specifically targeted, limiting collateral damage while effectively neutralizing a major threat. The agency described the strike as a strategic success that significantly weakens Al-Shabaab’s capacity in both military operations and media influence.


For more than 15 years, Al-Shabaab has waged a violent insurgency against Somalia’s internationally backed government, repeatedly launching deadly attacks across the country. Despite ongoing military offensives, the group continues to pose a serious security challenge, carrying out bombings, assassinations, and coordinated assaults on civilian and government targets.

However, Somalia’s security institutions say intensified operations — coupled with support from regional and international partners — are steadily degrading the group’s leadership and capabilities. The elimination of high-ranking figures such as Engineer Ismail and Qoorleex, officials argue, demonstrates increasing intelligence precision and operational strength.

As Somalia continues its fight against extremism, authorities reaffirmed their commitment to dismantling Al-Shabaab’s networks and restoring peace and stability across the country. The government says it will maintain pressure on the militant organization until it is fully defeated and communities are protected from further violence.

Comments